In September of 1922, Glendale Avenue School opened with eight classrooms, a manual training room, a sewing room, and a cooking room for students in grades 7 and 8. The faculty consisted of eight classroom teachers, four specialty teachers, and the school principal.
In 1923, six additional classrooms were opened as well as the auditorium. By 1924, the school’s name had been changed to Glendale Avenue Intermediate School. On May 22, 1924, the cafeteria opened under the direction of the PTA after the School Board voted to purchase the necessary equipment for the kitchen. This consisted of an electric dishwasher, an electric mixer, a steam table, sinks, stoves, and dishes.
On January 11, 1926, Glendale Avenue Intermediate School was renamed Theodore Roosevelt School (also known as TRS). The trend in the newly emerging city of Glendale was to name schools after great men – either leaders in education or former presidents.
In September of 1933, TRS opened its doors to 9th graders and went on to be named Theodore Roosevelt Junior High School.
In 1991, 9th grade students who would attend Hoover High School left Roosevelt. In 1993, the school was renamed Theodore Roosevelt Middle School when the remaining 9th graders were moved to the Glendale High School campus and once again the school educated student in grades 7 and 8. In 2003, RMS admitted 65 sixth grade students and began the tradition of a true middle school.
The school has had numerous upgrades and changes to the physical space. From the original buildings of the early 1920s and 30s, the school got an upgraded modern look in the 1970s. A big change came in the mid 1980s, when additional classroom space was added. Check out the historical photos of the school over the years. (1930s to 1960s to 1980s to today!)